Hurricane Season Starts June 1st
The season will officially start on June 1 and end on November 30.
The last thing you want to worry about is your homeowners policy or your banking information. Make sure you have all you important family documents gathered and prepared, so that you do not need to worry.
It is best to have the original documents stored in a portable water-tight safe and also stored in plastic “Zip-Loc” bags for additional protection. Color photo copies of these should also be carried in plastic zip-lock bags in the event the originals are unavailable or become damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen.
You should also make a list of names, numbers and pertinent contact information for your personal accountant, attorney and / or financial advisor. These documents and identification elements are vital to us in a number of ways. Without them, being able to function at any level near normalcy and restoring your previous life will prove to be difficult. Also, depending on the circumstances some of these documents may be required to gain access or passage through checkpoints.
List of Important Family Documents.
Originals and photo copies of personal identification for each and every member of the family should be brought along.
- Birth Certificates
- Adoption Papers
- Citizenship / Naturalization Papers
- Military Discharge Papers
- Last Will
- Trust Documents
- Burial Instructions (instructions or arrangements that have been previously made)
- Safe Deposit Boxes and/or Safes (keys / combinations)
- Powers of Attorney
- School Records for all those attending
- Earned Educational Degrees
Financial Accounts Information
- Bank / Credit Union Accounts (Checking, Savings)
- Retirement Accounts
- Brokerage Accounts
- Pension System Statements
- Deferred Compensation Papers
- Credit Card Accounts
- U.S. Savings Bonds
- Money Market Accounts
- Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
- Stock Certificates/Bonds
- Real Estate Deeds
- Mortgage Documents
- Property Tax Records
- Inventory of Assets
- Vehicle Titles
- Income Tax Returns for Several Years
- Rental/Lease Agreements
- Partnership Agreements
- Outstanding Loans
- Pending Legal Actions / Lawsuits
Medical & Health Insurance
- Health Care Provider and Personal ID Number
- Mortgage Insurance Policy
- Long Term Care Policy Information
- Organ Donor Information
- Living Will /